234 Berkeley Street / Louis Boston
This classical French Academic-style building was designed in 1862 by architect William G. Preston as the new home of the Boston Society for Natural History, which had been founded in 1830. In the 1860’s, many of Boston’s cultural institutions relocated here to the Back Bay, the elegant residential district being built on the tidal marshes behind the city. When the museum moved here in 1863, the new building dominated the western edge of the landfill. The classical design reflected its role as a “temple of learning.” The renamed Museum of Science moved to its present site on the Charles River in 1949. Originally the Museum of Natural History, this building was designed by William G. Preston and built in 1862. The project consisted of the renovation of the women’s retail store formally known as Bonwit Teller into what is now known as Louis Boston, a high fashion clothing store. The renovation consists of the following:
1. Providing a new accessible entrance to the new Louis store as well as upgrading the entire building (including public toilets) to meet current accessibility codes.
2. Restoring the existing brick and limestone details to be consistent with the original style and construction.
Role: Charles Bradley III, Junior Designer/Draftsman (as an employee of CBT Architects)
260 BLUE HILLS PARKWAY, MILTON, MASSACHUSETTS 02186
TEL: 617.296.ARCH FAX: 617.296.3633